Tuesday, January 6, 2009

American Corporations and Immigration Study

A new study shows many corporations want cheap labor with immigrants while pink slipping Americans and asking for bailout money.

Here is the story.

Who's Lobbying on Immigration and Why? New Report Details Extensive Corporate Lobbying for Increased Immigration

/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new report from the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) finds that over the past three years dozens of well-known American corporations, representing virtually every sector of the economy, have committed extensive resources lobbying for increased immigration, more foreign guest-workers, and amnesty for illegal aliens. Many of these same corporations that have pressured Congress to provide them a cheap labor supply have recently been pink-slipping their existing workers and seeking federal taxpayer bailouts. The report, Immigration Lobbying: A Window into the World of Special Interests, is the first and only study of lobbying on immigration policy and reveals a scope of influence previously unknown.

FAIR's Immigration Lobbying report uncovers how in the past three years, 521 corporations, trade associations, business groups, labor organizations, government entities, educational institutions, and non-profit groups attempted to influence key congressional immigration-related legislation. Only about 2 percent of these organizations supported reductions in immigration and enhanced enforcement of U.S. immigration laws. The rest -- 98 percent -- fought for increased immigration, amnesty and more foreign guest workers.

In addition, FAIR's report shows that over 58 percent of the lobbying on immigration between 2006 and 2008 was carried out by American corporations and business and trade associations ranging from high tech to agriculture.

Their primary goals included:
-- Amnesty for the estimated 13 million illegal aliens residing in the
-- Dramatic increases in both low-skill and high-skill foreign guest
-- Increased admission of foreign students to U.S. universities, and
subsequent entry to the U.S. labor market.

"This new report demonstrates conclusively that the hallmark of corporate concern about immigration policy has been to increase their own access to cheap foreign labor," stated Dan Stein, president of FAIR. "Equally evident from this lobbying investigation is that the public interest has been almost entirely absent from efforts to influence the direction of U.S. immigration policy.

"In the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, many of these companies are simultaneously asking for more cheap foreign labor while laying off existing U.S. workers. It's contradictory behavior and shows an appalling lack of community and corporate responsibility," observed Stein. "With the exception of a small number of public interest advocacy organizations like FAIR, nearly every lobbying dollar spent on influencing immigration policy has been focused on bringing cheaper labor to this country, rewarding illegal immigration, and building ethnic political constituencies.

"Given the damage that these interests have already inflicted on hard-working American families, we hope that the incoming Obama administration will restore some modicum of public interest to this important policy debate," said Stein.

No comments: